The MACA Class of 2016 celebrated all God has done through them, from kindergarten to 12th grade, during the 2016 MACA Graduation Ceremony. Twenty-two students who had completed all the graduation requirements for a MACA high school diploma crossed the stage and received their diploma in the presence of a gymnasium full of family and friends.
Highlights of the evening included co-valedictorian addresses by Ben Hickey and Missy Staley and a salutatorian address by Ethan Barlow. Other students honored for academic achievements included students who earned advanced diplomas, including five students who completed the College Preparatory Diploma (Ashtyn Bouslog, Rebecca Lucente, Sara Reitz, Estiven Saldarriaga and Timothy Tvardzik) and six who completed the Advanced College Preparatory Diploma (Ethan Barlow, Colson Cissel, Ben Hickey, Matt Holly, Brady Smith and Missy Staley). Students honored for high grade point averages included four cum laude graduates, one magna cum laude graduate and three summa cum laude graduates.
Students were also recognized for outstanding contributions and accomplishments with the following awards:
- The Lion Award, the outstanding male athlete – Teddy Thompson
- The Lioness Award, the outstanding female athlete – Ashtyn Bouslog
- The Colossians 3:23 Award – Brady Smith
- The 1 Corinthians 10:31 Award – Estiven Saldarriaga
- The Spiritual Growth Philippians 3:13-14 Award – Ashtyn Bouslog
- The Christian Character Colossians 1:10 Award – Ethan Barlow
- The Wisdom Proverbs 4:7 Award – Colson Cissell
- The Soul Winner Proverbs 11:30 Award – Matt Holly
- The Compassion Jude 22 Award – Sara Reitz
- The Hebrews 3:13 Award – Missy Staley
- The 1 Peter 2:21 Award – Rebecca Decker
The Heritage Award (for MACA attendance K-12)
- Ethan Barlow
- Tori Barnsley
- Colson Cissel
- Sara Reitz
- Savannah Schaefer
- Brady Smith
The following students were also awarded scholarships:
- Timothy Scholarship, for a student going into full-time Christian ministry – Matt Holly
- David Scholarship, for a student using his/her fine arts talent for the Lord – Tarah Schaefer
- Lois Scholarship, for a student pursuing a career as a Christian school teacher – Sara Reitz
The evening also included processional and recessional music performed by the MACA Concert Band and praise songs led by the MACA Student Worship Team. Pastor Everett Pope, Commencement Speaker for the event, engaged the entire audience as he encouraged the graduates to be a HERO, since our world is in need of heroes. Mr. Korn then challenged the seniors to not settle on doing something, rather than doing what is meaningful. A MACA faculty or staff member then prayed for each graduate and presented them with a gift. The ceremony closed with the annual lighting of the candles and passing of the torch of leadership from the seniors to the juniors. Following the service, all were invited to a reception hosted by the junior class where picture boards were displayed for each graduate, showing highlights from their time at MACA and their accomplishments and personal growth.
As the evening ended, there were many congratulations and good-byes. We pray God’s best for the seniors as they move to the next chapter of the lives God has planned for them. We pray, as Mr. Rust encouraged MACA every morning in the school announcements, that these graduates will “go and serve God”! We can’t wait to hear all He will do through them!